Wednesday, July 15, 2015

I'm starting to forget what day were on.....maybe it's the wine

Day 8? Wednesday

Scott and I woke up early to do laundry....in Paris.  In French.  By the grace of God, there was a helpful woman who spoke English in there.  We finished and hit the trains for Versailles.   It took 4 different trains but we did it.  (I love that there are helpful people in colorful vests to help you get where you're going.)

When we got there, there was a huge line!  No line cutting for the museum pass, but it went pretty fast.



Check out all that gold!  For me, this was honestly the most impressive part.  There were SO many people and it was ridiculously hot.  The tour was just moving through rooms of art with a few hundred of your favorite strangers, some who smell quite bad.

I LOVE old palaces and castles - I eat this stuff up, but this didn't do anything for me.  Here's what I've got.




The entry room.

The hall of mirrors.

One of the doors in Louis xiv bedroom.

The view outside Louis vix bedroom.

Just a few of my new smelly friends outside the hall of mirrors.

In a place this big, I expected to see a little more, but we might have seen 20 rooms.
We got out of there pretty fast after that and went to the gardens.   There was shade and room to spread out and ice cream.







We rented a boat to take out on the grande canal.  Scott is a great rower!



Haley doesn't want her picture taken.  Oh well.  :)


We made our way to the Trianon.  I'm not really sure what this is, but I know Marie-Antoinette moved her house out there.  It was the only part of the visit that I found really cool.

Grand trianon breezeway.



Original hidden staircase in Marie-Antoinette's house.



M over A for the lady of the house.


The grand staircase.

A closed door that Sean and I peeked into.  There's another floor!

The outside.

On the way out, we pass this window which I can see has stained glass inside.  This is a room we didn't get to see inside.

Here's more.  It looks beautiful.

We took all the trains back to freshen up since we were all sweaty and gross.  Then went around the corner for dinner and didn't come home til dark.  By the way, it doesn't get dark here until 11:00.  It was fantastic, and for the first time we had a waiter that actually seemed happy to be waiting on us.  There's something amazing about sitting at a cafe with the Eiffel Tower nearby.  This was my favorite part of the day!

 
Bon Nuit!   Louvre tomorrow.

P.S.  I'll be bringing home souvenirs from here....about 10 extra pounds around my middle.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it's hot. It's raining here ☔️ Fabulous photos Mrs Q :-))

    ReplyDelete